[DISCUSSION] Mantle zkEVM Research & Industry Collaboration

If we are able to build an additional design on the collaboration’s zkEVM, I believe build own zkEVM will kinda spend a lot of time and cost, and not be suitable.

I would prefer a collaboration that made a combination of the partner’s advantage with Mantle’s advantage (ex. Eigen Layer) so that users can experience both unique features, and we could have more time and cost for uses on EcoFund.

In 2023-24 might be a trend of the L2 chain and some are already available to use, Mantle Network needs to keep more time and cost for the project building, and catch up to the upcoming trend.

2 Likes

All for our zkEVM expedition, its still a very early space we could definitely be a part of, we have the capital to fund this but what’s even better is working alongside builders who already figured the technicalities out. So naturally, I’m siding with collabs with tech partners.

2 Likes

Just what I wanted to hear tbh, do you know around what time we can have the MVP ready for testing? Also would like to suggest that we share these plans with the rest of the users on the Discord since the majority isn’t really active on the forums.

2 Likes

Regarding whether Mantle builds its own zkEVM or collabs with a tech partner, I think that the latter would have slight advantage considering that BitDAO already works with zkSync which has some pretty dope ZK tech plus already has a live zkEVM testnet as well

This would cost us much less money and time but more importantly would result in a zkEVM that has already been testnet considering zkSync’s testnet has been live for a while now

4 Likes

I get where you’re coming from. This will help a lot with allocations of Mantle funds. However, I’m more inclined for Mantle to build their own zkEVM since there arent any modular zkEVMs right now

If Mantle implements something similar with what they did with their optimistic rollup, it could be something of massive importance to the Ethereum community as a whole honestly

2 Likes

Honestly I think both choices make sense, so it’s kinda hard to choose

• Collaborating means less time spent in development + lower cost + less chances of something going wrong
  • Building from scratch (or even forking) means we can be flexible with implementing our own touches to the EVM and maybe even develop some new tech

Both cases are a win for Mantle. It all goes down to which is more benefitial.
Personally, I think collaborating would give us a massive boost right now considering we’re still a start up. But building/forking might be more beneficial long term.

Won’t make my mind now. Will still wait for more information and news

6 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. We will put these plans on Discord as well.

2 Likes

I think it’s best if BitDAO and Mantle handle everything on their own without any outside influence. If it’s as you say and we have the resources for Mantle to build its own ZkEVM, then I think we should start building without any further ado.

2 Likes

zkEVM can process thousands of transactions in one batch and only post the summary data to mainnet, and it’s very similar to Mantle in how it inherits security directly from Ethereum.

I think the two will work very nicely together.

2 Likes

I tested ZKEX, zkSync and Nexon Finance too
very fast transactions that seems unreal
it feels basically doing near instant transactions with minimal fees, imo it’s gonna be the future it would be a great achievement if Mantle decided to be a part of ZK Tech Future

2 Likes

With optimistic and zkevm rollups, Mantle can manage a number of different network statements. A combination, that was discussed in discord and proved to be effective, was implemented.

3 Likes

Is it possible to spawn a ZK layer on top of the optimistic one we have right now? And if so, could that be in our plans to develop?

3 Likes

if we can manage this, then we will be able to list $BIT under the ZK category later down the line, which would be massive since this sector in web3 has been gaining so much attention this past quarter or so.

3 Likes

Ok so obviously I’m not a dev but I’ve made some quick research and apparently its plausible but I really dont know how manageable it could be considering ZK itself is still very new tech in the space

But yeah, managing that would not only enable the possibilities that you talked about but would also mean that the EVM would interact with a modular structure

3 Likes

not gonna lie this would be amazing for both mantle and ethereum, not to mention the amount of hype it’ll generate

3 Likes

Exactly. Something like this has never been done before

1 Like

ZK is known to complete optimistic rollups, or in the least, enhance them. It’ll certainly be interesting to see how effective this will be given Mantle’s modular design and the pace it will move at given it’s exposure to the BitDAOxZkDAO relationship, which brings me to my point, that building a ZkEVM is essential to any L2 right now, and I believe Mantle should do whatever is necessary to join the race as quickly as possible so collaborating with ZkDAO/ZkSync is the obvious choice IMO. They’ve already made a ton of progress, so if Mantle devs work closely with them, I’m sure Mantle will have a working ZkEVM before the end of the year.

1 Like

the zk narrative could be huge this year, ideally we should capitalize as early as possible given that BitDAO already has a collab in place with zkSync(zkDAO), its the perfect opportunity for ecosystem partners to come together

1 Like

@arjunkalsy In the case that we do end up collaborating with a tech partner, are there any names or options on the table right now? Or are we still in the process of finding them?

2 Likes

Actually, all I’ve seen so far is rivalry between ZK tech and optimistic tech (which I think is unfortunate).
I commented yesterday of whether there could be a possibility to build a zkEVM atop of the optimistic rollup we have right now. If Mantle is capable of accomplishing that then this would:

1- Put Mantle on the map in the L2 space (and possibly even the crypto space entirely)
2- Massively benefit the Ethereum ecosystem as other L2s will most likely start following Mantle’s example

6 Likes