[PASSED] BIP-6: Education DAO

@JonAllen interesting proposal :+1:

Clarifying question: is the primary intent for EducationDAO social good, or directly economic?

Without expectation of revenue generation (i.e. purpose of social good), then adding the expectation of any output produced being open (source, publishing or patents) and free for the general public would be ideal, aligning actions with intent.

With expectations of revenue generation (i.e. directly economic purpose), then any mandating of openness would reduce the potential business models for that revenue generation. Discretion would be best left to those directly involved.

3 Likes

In the “What” section, it discusses funding granted to “University Ecosystems”:

“Grants will be given to university DAO’s to use as they best see fit as long as they participate in governance votes ( >75%), help with testing DAO tools, and propose at least one BitDAO Contribution every six months.”

As well as discussing funding for “University Projects”:

“Awards of up to $25k ( the intention is for it to be relatively small amounts but the amounts can be adjusted) can be granted in exchange for a percentage of ownership interest in University-Based Projects. Students or university-centric funds (such as the House Fund in Berkeley) will be elected by University Group DAO’s to allocate this capital, and it is up to the relevant University Group to choose how University-Based Projects will be selected for funding.”

I hope this clarifies things a little monkey_scratch_head, but I’m sure JonAllen would be able to elaborate.

2 Likes

[reposting with a more formal name]

Hello, this is Jun and Bryan from Penn Blockchain at the University of Pennsylvania. After thoroughly reading through this proposal thread on the EducationDAO, we wanted to contribute to the discussion of EducationDAO’s merits and potential shortcomings.

Penn Blockchain is excited about the EducationDAO for three reasons,

1. It is a way for Penn as a university to give back to the community

The conversations in this thread about the egalitarian nature of DAOs have motivated us to be more outward facing in our approach. With funding from EduDAO as well as from Penn Alumni, we will propose treasury proposals focused on giving back to local nonprofits and relief organizations outside the university bubble that the DAO considers most crucial to the community.

2. Penn, as a large university, can help expand the crypto community to other local universities.

Some have questioned the validity of giving the funds to the most well established universities. Although it is true the Penn has larger endowments compared to other universities, the most effective way of reaching smaller student communities around Philadelphia would also be testing a robust proof of concept at a university with an existing crypto community and then using the PennDAO to help establish organizations similar to Penn Blockchain across other universities. Going through the process of establishing PennDAO will serve as a helpful framework that can be extended to other surrounding universities.

3. It can bolster student-focused initiatives in and out of our university

The Cypher accelerator is one example where the PennDAO can directly support the crypto community without geographical restrictions. The Cypher Accelerator is an initiative at Penn that is open to crypto projects from all over the world. Despite the scale, the monetary funding is underwhelming at a few thousand dollars. PennDAO, though its governance, can provide grants to these projects to foster its growth, while giving students the opportunity to think critically about supporting diverse kinds of projects.

We hope this response communicates a clearer vision of PennBlockchain’s vision for the PennDAO. Perhaps what’s great about the EduDAO initiative is that every student body is free to morph the DAO into whatever they seem best fit for their own communities. We expect our UniDAO formation to be an iterative process, one where we will encounter many faults before a robust system is built. So we appreciate all of the dear criticism given in the thread, and we are very excited to be a part of this greater network of crypto inspired students.

Thank you so much!

5 Likes

A quick update, we have added Tsinghua University Students Blockchain Association to the phase 1 university group! As the blockchain club representing the #1 university in China, we are honored to have them on board. They are extremely excited by this initiative and will help to expand EduDAO globally into phase two with their numerous connections to other international universities.

On the advice of several groups we are talking with to help set up and maintain this entity, we have added $1M per year to the EduDAO budget to ensure that legal fees, accounting, compliance, payroll, and any other associated expenses can be paid rather than relying on excess budget from University Groups and Centers. Since most of the legal fees will be front loaded, accounting will take place to adjust this amount for subsequent funding top-ups based on need.

3 Likes

That really is an honour. These types of collaborations have so much potential, and I’m really excited to see funding extended to this group of students. I think the cost-benefit of funding these groups will be very clear when subsequent requests are made.

2 Likes

I sincerely hope that everyone in the community that has the capacity to vote in this proposal has done so!

As it stands, I’ve seen tremendous support from the community for this proposal. So many of us wanted to vote in this proposal- but, unfortunately, gas costs are currently highly restrictive.

Myself, along with a number of community members, are working towards a solution. We’ve formed an aligned entity, Æmbassy. I’m huge appreciative of the reception and support we’re getting from the community as a whole. If anyone is interested in collaborating, come link up with us in the BitDAO Discord channel!

1 Like

BIP-6 has been approved!

EduDAO is set to be the world’s first student-led multi-university DAO organization that will lead the charge in bringing the next generation of Web3 thinkers from 0 to 1. Learn more at edudao.io

2 Likes

@JonAllen It’s great to know (a little) about you, through your personal anecdotes :pray:

Also appreciate this proposal. It’s really intense.

Would you please help me with clarifications for the following.

For Year 1, BitDAO will have a 75% ownership interest and 25% voting stake in Education DAO since it will provide the vast majority of funding. University DAO’s will maintain 100% ownership and voting Year 1 (from the proposal doc)
It’s not clear, how these ownership & voting % are adding up. BitDAO’s 75%+ University DAOs’ 100% (175%?!?!) BitDAO’s 25%+ University DAO’s 100% (125%!!!)

Is it possible to share details of the progress, as well as the University DAOs’ participation in Governance etc, in the last two quarters, with BitDAO community?

Presume, it’s ok to share the next set of University/Groups, as in the pipeline, for the next phase! My question would be: only steering committee recommends these, or BitDAO members may suggest some qualified entity names, from around the world, as per the set criteria?

Thanks in anticipation. Really appreciate your time.

1 Like